Call For Applications: IA Current Curator
IA Current Curator
Deadline: Friday, June 1st 2018 (6pm)
InterAccess currently seeks a bold and engaged emerging curator to join the organization under the auspices of the IA Current Program which supports the professional development of emerging curators and artists interested in new media and electronic practices.
The IA Current Curator will use their unique vision and critical perspective to research, develop, and execute the 17th Annual IA Current Exhibition. This exhibition will be mounted in the main gallery for four weeks beginning in November 2018 and will feature the work of emerging artists.
The IA Current Curator will be paid a curatorial fee upon successful installation of the exhibition.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- In collaboration with the Programming Coordinator, establish a flexible schedule for in-gallery and offsite research between June and September 2018
- Develop a coherent and relevant exhibition theme
- From an open call for submissions, select a maximum of five works by emerging new media artists based in Canada
- Assist in drafting an exhibition budget, artist contracts, and other materials in accordance with InterAccess standards and practices
- Write a short curatorial statement for marketing purposes and an extended exhibition essay
- Lead a curator’s tour of the exhibition
- Coordinate and manage installation and strike with the support of technical staff at InterAccess
- InterAccess welcomes applications from undergraduate and graduate students in a related field of study, recent graduates, and emerging professionals with fewer than four consecutive years of related professional experience
- The IA Current Curator must be available for key dates between October 23rd - November 7th 2018 and December 8th - 11th 2018.
- Cover letter
- Brief statement outlining your curatorial interests
- Brief exhibition proposal and a list of at least one artist you are interested in including in your proposed exhibition (250 words maximum)
- Current CV
- One reference
Only email submissions will be considered. Please send a single PDF file to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “IA Current Curator Application.” We thank all those who apply, however we will only contact those selected for an interview.
The InterAccess Current (IA Current) program supports the professional development of emerging curators and artists interested in new media and electronic practices. Each year, InterAccess selects an emerging curator, who works closely with IA staff to conceptualize and execute an exhibition of works by emerging artists. “Current” refers to the now, of course, but it is also an energetic charge that causes light, heat and all manner of electronic life; an apt metaphor for emergent creative practices within the ever-expanding field of new media.
Image: IA Current Curator 2017, Stacie Ant
(photo by Natalie Logan)