Our current employment and volunteer opportunities are posted below.
Festival Assistant - Vector Festival 2023
Dates: May 29 – July 22, 2023 (8 weeks)
Application Deadline: Thursday, May 11, 2023, 11:59 PM (EST)
Reporting to the InterAccess Programming Manager and Festival Coordinator, the Festival Assistant will work closely with staff, curators, and volunteers to support the administration, planning, and execution of InterAccess’s annual Vector Festival.
During the lead up to the festival, the Festival Assistant will support all aspects of festival coordination and administration. Key activities will include advertising and sponsorship support, coordinating social media and communications, and event support. The Festival Assistant will support outreach initiatives, helping to promote festival activities and artists within the community and beyond.
During the festival, the Festival Assistant will oversee volunteers, support exhibition and event set up, monitor exhibitions and events, and provide a high level of customer service to festival attendees.
- Work with InterAccess’s Festival Coordinator on festival administration in the lead up to and during the execution of the festival;
- Develop promotional content for social media and administer posts;
- Assist with festival logistics including ticket sales, volunteer coordination, venue set-up;
- Support exhibition installations, including but not limited to, painting and retouching walls, moving plinths and furniture, installing wall labels and text panels, and adjusting gallery lighting;
- Support sponsorship outreach efforts for programming, in-kind donations, and special programs;
- Follow all outlined health and safety protocols;
- During exhibition periods, monitor the gallery, establish a welcoming atmosphere for visitors, and answer general queries;
- Other general duties as assigned.
- Occasional heavy lifting required;
- Occasional ladder work required.
This position is funded by the Canada Summer Jobs program. To meet this program’s requirements, applicants must:
- Be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment;
- Be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act for the duration of the employment; and,
- Have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations.
- Please note, international students are not eligible.
The successful candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- Be currently enrolled in a post-secondary degree or diploma in a related discipline, or have recently completed undergraduate studies (with a BA/BFA/BDes or related);
- Superior verbal communication, interpersonal, and teamwork skills;
- A high level of self-direction and initiative with strong time-management abilities;
- Working knowledge of web languages (HTML and CSS), Drupal, and Wordpress;
- A high degree of familiarity with Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, and Premier; past experience editing and captioning video files;
- Experience creating and scheduling content on social media platforms including Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, and YouTube;
- Excellent organizational skills;
- The ability to take initiative and manage deadlines and a diverse set of responsibilities.
Work Location + COVID-19 Considerations
In acknowledgement of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, all InterAccess staff have been operating on a hybrid model, combining on-site and remote work. During the lead up to the festival (May-early June) the Festival Assistant is welcome to work remotely. In direct lead up to the festival (late June-July), the Festival Assistant may need to be on-site for installation and event logistics planning. During the festival (July 6-16, 2023) the Festival Assistant needs to be available on-site every day.
Hours of Work
This position is full-time, which represents 35 hours per week. Frequent evenings and weekends will be required in the direct lead up and during the festival. Anticipated start date is Monday, May 29, 2023.
Compensation + Benefits
Lieu time offered between 35 and 44 hours worked per week. Overtime paid after 44 hours per week.
Free entry into all festival programming.
How to Apply
Please send your résumé and cover letter (as a single PDF) by Thursday, May 11, 2023 by 11:59 PM (EST) to email@example.com. Please include ‘CSJ Application’ in the email subject line.
We thank all applicants for their interest; only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Interested Volunteers for short-term or special projects may send an introductory email to our Programming Manager.